Saturday, September 22, 2012

Welcome to my blog!

My Blog
Childhood Obesity is an epidemic! Please watch this video as this is an introduction the health topic I will be blogging about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLMoFST_Lmc


The health topic I will be focusing on is childhood obesity. 
I have always been interested in eating healthy and exercising to stay fit.  I believe there is a strong connection between food and health. It is my belief that a healthy diet can prevent most ailments or at least help reduce symptoms.        
I believe our nation’s attitude towards food is one of indulgence with the motto “I can eat what I want and how much I want” but this attitude has come with a high price tag, childhood obesity. I believe that there has been some attempt at change, but because change is difficult many people settle for an easier solution. For example, we tell our children that eating chips is unhealthy, sounds like we are doing the right thing, but actually instead of changing our snack food to a healthier choice, such as carrots sticks or fruit we choose a chip that has less fat, lower sodium, or says they’re organic because this is easier than actually changing our habits.
Here are some shocking statistics!
           “Over the past thirty years childhood obesity has tripled” (Centers for Disease Control and prevention [CDC], 2011a).
           “The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period” (CDC, 2011a).
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011a). Childhood obesity facts. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/ healthyyouth/ obesity/facts.htm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment