Friday, November 16, 2012

Lesson Plan Reflection


Here is my lesson plan reflection.





After the presentation and upon viewing my video, I feel pleased with my presentation performance. There were a number of areas in the presentation that went well and other areas that need improvement.
In the beginning of the presentation, I felt the delivery of my material was moving at a quick pace and needed to be slowed down.  I believe my timing was off with some of the sections because of the fast pace in which I was presenting my material. Although I did feel my energy was high and I presented my material with an upbeat and positive attitude. 
In the video, I noticed I use my hands a lot and was animated when presenting the material to the class.  I don’t believe this is a negative quality, although in some instances it may be distracting to some of the participants causing them to miss important information. Preparing for any presentations in the future, I will be mindful of how much I am moving my hands.
            I thought my handouts and comparing food items to objects was a strong section of my presentation. This section allowed the participants to be involved in the class and gave them portion control knowledge. Hopefully this will increase their confidence (self- efficacy) in their ability to incorporate portion control guidelines in their family meals. I do feel I could have made this section even stronger if I had more time and had explained the objects in more detail.
            I felt my words did not flow as nicely as I would have liked. There were too many times that I said “um” and “so”. Even though some of my words were not as smooth as I would have liked, I believe I was able to make the connection between childhood obesity and portion distortion and portion control contributing to the epidemic. Including background information and health risks also assisted me in making this connection.
All in all, I worked hard to organize my presentation and make it relatable to everyone and feel the material was represented well. In future presentations, I need to work on slowing down my speech and reducing my hand movements. Overall, I am very satisfied with my presentation.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    Your post with your video came out looking very professional! You did a nice job in your presentation in giving very functional information that was easy to assimilate into the planning of daily meals. I thought you gave good information that children could easily learn to use as well as their parents. Good job!

    Kim Mory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,

    I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation. Your tone and the organized manner in which you presented your information held my attention the entire time. You did a great job outlining the significance of the childhood obesity epidemic and revealing the connection between childhood obesity and portion sizes. Your passion for this topic is evident. Your overall presentation was wonderful. Thanks for sharing such a wealth of information.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I agree that your handouts were a strong point for you. It was nice as a participant to know that I could reflect on the material on my own later if I wanted to. I also appreciated your enthusiasm for the material. I think it helps put the participants in a good mindset so that they are also excited about the topic.

    ReplyDelete